Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Guest Post: How to Find Time to Write

Hello, my lovelies! It's been a bit since I've done anything bookish. For my fellow bookworms, here's a guest post with the (I'm not gonna use lovely again...) marvelous D. S. McKnight! If you're like me, you've got a story inside you. Here's how to write that story while living your hectic life:

Hi!  I wanted to thank you for hosting me and my book on your blog.  For those who don’t know me, I’m D.S. McKnight.  I’m the author of the Young Adult Paranormal novel, Of Dreams and Shadow: Forget Me Not (Book 1).  

Like so many writers, I have a full time job, a family and other commitments. 
Finding writing time can be difficult.  I host a weekly feature on my blog called Self Published Sunday as well as review books for other authors.  It can get a little challenging to not over schedule my time. 

I wish I had the ability to write in the evening but for the most part that doesn't work for me.  Once I start writing, it’s hard to stop.  My mind is still spinning possible scenarios long after I've gone to bed.    

Fortunately, I have devised a solution that works for me.   I guess you could call it my thinking time.  While I’m driving or cooking or eating my lunch  I’m going over the plot to my story, looking for potential snags.  I think about my characters and how they might react to certain predicaments.  I make notes about potential conversations and situations.  I work out a lot of issues with my story before I ever sit down in front of my computer.  Then on the weekend, I close the door to the office, pull out my notes and start writing.  

3 comments:

DS McKnight said...

Hi Valerie! Just wanted to thank you for not only introducing me to your marvelous readers but for participating with my tour! Marvelous! I'm loving that word! 😊

Samantha said...

Thanks for being in the tour!

Valerie said...

Deborah and Samantha,

Thanks to both of you for having me!

Search This Blog